Thursday, March 18, 2010

stART- St. Patrick’s Day Countdown

Buy on AmazonI was so excited about the stART activity I had planned this week.  We have been reading quite a few St. Patrick’s Day books and this particular book is short and sweet, while still introducing various symbols of St. Patrick’s Day.  Plus, it incorporates counting!  Unfortunately, Lil’man wasn’t as into this book as he was with some of his other choices.

I was really looking forward to the art project that I had planned with this book.  It was a “painting method” I had never tried before and I was anxious to see how it would turn out.  We created this shamrock.IMG_4529
I love how it turned out.  To create this we used cardstock, various shades of green and yellow tissue paper and vinegar.   I cut out the shape of a shamrock from the cardstock and then Lil’man placed tissue paper all over it.  Once the shamrock was covered, Lil’man dabbed vinegar all over it with a paintbrush.  It was nice and soggy.
IMG_4514IMG_4516 
Then we set it aside to dry.  Once it was completely dried, Lil’man pulled off the tissue paper.
IMG_4524 IMG_4527
The tissue paper left it’s color behind to create this wonderful water color or tie dye effect.  I will definitely use this method again.  Lil’man had so much fine and he used various fine motor skills to complete it.IMG_4531 If you would like to see more stART activities then go check out A Mommy’s Adventures.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this done. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat technique. I love how the bleeding produced a kind of marbleized look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the comment. It makes me feel special. If you have a question for me, make sure to leave your email, if it is not located on your profile. I will definitely respond. Thanks for visiting.