Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Doctor’s Lady {Review}

Doctor'sLady_mockup.indd

The Doctor’s Lady by Jody Hedlund is a fictional story based on the true story of missionaries Marcus and Narcissa Whitman.  The Whitmans and their traveling partners Henry and Eliza Spalding traveled to Oregon Country to evangelize to the Nez Perce natives.  Narcissa and Eliza were the first white women to travel what would one day be known as the Oregon Trial.

Storyline
Priscilla White and Dr. Eli Ernest both have a heart for missions, but on different sides of the world.  Priscilla hopes to travel to India and Eli wants to return to Oregon Country to minister to the natives there.  They soon discover that the mission board will no longer send unmarried men and women into the field. Left with no other options the two decide to enter into an agreement, a marriage of convenience only.  But will it survive the long difficult journey west?

Overall Thoughts 
I really enjoyed reading The Doctor’s Lady.  It was actually a quick read for a book just shy of 400 pages.   Hedlund did a great job of showing the hardships and trials people faced traveling west.  It was just enough to keep me turning the pages. To top it off she sprinkled those trials with romantic tension.

One of my favorite things about this book, wasn’t actually in the story.  It was a little section in the back of the book.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, this story is historical fiction.  I loved how Hedlund takes a little time to tell about the sections of the book that are actually true.  Maybe I’m naïve and other authors of historical fiction do this, but this is the first time that I’ve ever noticed it. 

If you’re a fan of historical fiction and romantic dramas, then don’t miss out on Jody Hedlund’s The Doctor’s Lady.

This post may contain affilated links.  Please click here to read my full disclosure policy.

A Mommy Talks Reviews:  The featured product for this review was provided to me, at no cost, by Bethany House.  All opinions expressed are my own.  If you’d are interested in signing up to receive review copies from Bethany House, head to www.bethanyhouse.com/bookreviewers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for the comment. It makes me feel special. If you have a question for me, make sure to leave your email, if it is not located on your profile. I will definitely respond. Thanks for visiting.