Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Potty Chronicles- The Adventure Begins

“I’ve had it.  This boy needs to get potty trained!  I am so tired of changing diapers!”  I proclaimed late one Tuesday afternoon.

No more diapers for my boy.  The next day, I put him in underwear.  And not just any underwear…Elmo underwear.  One of his favorite people.   I then, explain to him, “Elmo wants to stay clean and dry, so if you think you have to go potty you need to tell Mommy.  You don’t want to get Elmo wet or dirty.” 

And then are potty training adventure began.

He successfully stayed dry from 7:15 am to 9:30 am with potty breaks ar0und 8:00, 8:25 and 9:00.  It was at this point that I did a quick internet search to determine how often I should take him to the potty.  According to FamilyDoctor.org, I should “place [my] child on the potty at regular intervals. This may be as often as every 1 and a half to 2 hours.”  

Okie dokie.  Check.  Next potty break 10:30.

Then around 9:30 as he was singing and dancing…I hear “Mommy, I’m wet. I have to go potty.” 

I jump to my feet and say “WHAT?!!”  I look towards him and see liquid dripping down his leg.  I think to myself…no you already went potty.  

On his potty chair he went and I clean up the mess. Fortunately, he was standing on his stool as the incident occurred. So, grateful for an easy clean up!

Lil’man then got clean Elmo pants and a reminder that Elmo wants to stay clean and dry.

Not even 30 minutes later he comes to tell me he is wet yet again.  At this point, I called the doctor.  Yep, I am one of them.  He is 32 months and not able to hold “it” for 30 minutes…there must be something wrong!  Now mind you, he hasn’t had anything to drink since breakfast, so I don’t know where all these urine leaks are coming from.  Seriously, there must be some issue.

When the doctor called me back, the conversation when something like this,

“There’s nothing to worry about.”

“So this is normal.  What I read about kids being able to hold it longer, is not really the case?” Although, this is what I was really thinking: Really!  My son doesn’t have some issue because I just know there has to be something wrong. 

“Just keep doing what you are doing.” 

Of course the worst part of our conversation was when she told me,

“If he continues to have a lot of wet diapers in a 2 hour period, you might want to wait 2 to 3 more months.” 

WHAT! WAIT!  Are you kiddin’ me?

So, there you go.  Keeping my finger’s cross that we won’t have to wait.  I’ll keep you posted.

This post contains affilated links.  Please click here to read my full disclosure policy.

2 comments:

  1. I also just started potty training my son this week.. he is 33 months. It's going alright, but I am having the same issue of my son not being able to "hold it" too! :(
    Good luck & I hope he catches on for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I potty trained my oldest son, he could not hold his bladder either. This was not a problem at home, because I would just take him every 30 minutes. But when we were out and about it was a pain. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Sometimes boys take a while to potty train. Don't be discouraged. He will get it. (I know I hated being told that when I was potty training)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the comment. It makes me feel special. If you have a question for me, make sure to leave your email, if it is not located on your profile. I will definitely respond. Thanks for visiting.